5-10. Side Block Assembly Maintenance - continued.
(3) Lubricate new preformed packing (7) with silicone lubricant and install on bonnet (5).
(4) Install valve stem in bonnet. Ensure longer, tapered end of stem is inserted into bonnet.
(5) Screw bonnet into the side block enough to hold it in place (1 to 2 turns), then turn stem clockwise
until the seat assembly has bottomed out.
(6) Tighten the bonnet.
(7) Place washer (4) and control knob (3) on the stem and rotate the stem counterclockwise until the
valve is fully open, then close valve completely. The knob should turn freely, without any binding.
(8) Install spring (2) and locknut (1) on valve stem. Using notched screwdriver, tighten locknut until the
threaded end of the valve stem is flush or slightly protrudes.
5-11. Muffler Air Train Maintenance.
This task covers:
b. Cleaning and Inspection
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's (item 4, appx B)
Helmet liner removed (para 4-20).
Air train removed (para 4-21).
Clean, Lint-Free Cloths (item 2, appx E)
Warm Fresh Water (Item 4, appx E)
Nonionic Detergent (NID Solution) (item 3, appx E)
With air train removed from helmet, separate muffler (1) from air train (2).