Second Stage Regulator Reassembly.
Place the box bottom (fig. 4-2) (11) rim on a flat surface. Install exhaust valve (10) in the box bottom.
Place exhaust tube (9) in hot water (approximately 110 F) for five minutes. Stretch the exhaust tube
over the flange of the box bottom (11).
Install the neck strap (23), if used.
Install the mouthpiece (21) on the box bottom (11), and secure the mouthpiece clamp (22).
Insert the disc (14) into the head of the disc retainer (15). Insert disc retainer spring (16), disc (14),
and disc retainer (15) into the air inlet opening in the box bottom (11).
Place the retainer wrench on the disc retainer (15). Insure that the four prongs of the wrench enter
the four slots of the disc retainer (15).
Apply and maintain forward pressure on the disc retainer (15). This IS accomplished by placing the
knurled end of the retainer wrench in the palm of the hand, placing the index and middle finger over
the box bottom rim.
Install washer (17), spacer (19), and nut (20) on the threaded stem of the disc retainer (15). Momen-
tarily release the pressure on the disc retainer, but do not remove the retainer wrench.
Using a 1/4 inch box wrench, hold nut (20) and rotate the retainer wrench clockwise five turns.
(10) Using the retainer wrench, apply and maintain pressure on the disc retainer (15). Install lever (18)
between washer (17), and spacer (19), and seat the lever in the grooved interior section in the box
bottom (11). Rotate the retainerwrench 2-1/2 turns while holding nut (20) with a 1/4 inch box wrench.
Remove the retainer wrench.
(11) Place the inlet fitting O-Ring (13) on the shortest threaded section of the inlet fitting (12), and install
the inlet fitting to the box bottom (11). (Do not attempt to install the longest threaded section of the
inlet fitting (12) to the box bottom (11), because it will result in damage to the inlet fitting and box bot-
tom threads.) Using a 3/4 inch open end wrench, tighten inlet fitting (12) securely.
(12) Install O-Ring (28) on the connector (27).
(13) Attach the connector (27) to the inlet fitting (12). Using an 11/16 inch open end wrench, tighten the
Proceed with the adjustment, para c below.
(14) Place the diaphragm (8) into the box bottom (11) so both rubber tabs of the diaphragm straddle lever
(18), and will not interfere with its movement.
(15) Place the purge button (2) on a flat surface with the shaft pointing upward. Position the purge button
spring (4) so the purge button shaft enters the smallest spring opening first.
(16) Insert the purge button (2) shaft through the exterior opening of the box top (5).
(17) With circlip pliers, install retainer ring (3) in the grooved shaft of the purge button (2).
(18) Seat the box top (5) on top of the box bottom (11).
Install the rim clamp (6) with its opening facing the inlet fitting (12). Position and tighten the rim clamp
screw (7) with a flat tip 3/16 inch screwdriver.