Section V. DEMAND REGULATOR
This section contains the disassembly/reassembly and adjustment instructions for the Air Pressure Demand Regu-
lator (single hose) which is a two stage regulator with automatic pressure compensating abilities. It has a capability
of arctic operation without freezing.
First Stage Regulator Disassembly.
Mount the first stage regulator in a soft jaw vise. Tighten the jaws of the vise securely against the flat
An alternate method may be used to hold the first stage regulator by inserting a
spent 38 gram CO2 cartridge into any of the open parts in the body.
Untie and remove the cap assembly (3).
With tool 1588-13 remove the cap assembly O-Ring (4) from the cap assembly (3).
Unscrew and remove the knob (2).
With a 9/16 inch open end wrench, unscrew and remove hose assembly (fig. 4-2) (26) from the first
With tool 1588-13, remove O-Ring (fig. 4-2) (24) from the connector (25).
If the tank pressure gauge is connected, use a 5/8 inch open end wrench, and unscrew and remove
When the tank pressure gauge is not connected, with a 1/2 inch open wrench, unscrew and remove
the plug screw (17) on P/N 0638 or high pressure adapter (30) on P/N 2800-00, (fig. 4-1) located
below the letters HP.
With a 1/2 inch open end wrench, unscrew and remove the plug screw auxiliary (18).
(10) With tool 1588-13, remove the plug screw O-Ring auxiliary (19).
(11) Position the first stage regulator in the soft jaw vise so that the yoke (6) is facing upward and tighten
the jaws of the vise securely against the flat sections in the middle area of the regulator body (15).
(12) On regulator P/N 1088-00, use an adjustable open end size 15 wrench, straddle one of the yoke legs
with the wrench. Unscrew and remove the yoke retainer (5) and yoke (6). On regulator P/N 1077-00,
use circlip pliers to remove yoke retainer ring (31) and yoke (6).
(13) With circlip pliers (P/N 111-00) remove filter retainer ring (7) while at the same time placing one finger
over the filter assembly opening of the regulator body (15) to prevent springs (9 and 13) from ejecting
parts of the filter assembly (8) thru (12). Remove filter (8), filter assembly spring (9), spring block (10),
back-up ring (11), spring block O-Ring (12), and disc and retainer spring (13).
(14) With tool 1588-13. remove the spring block O-Ring (12), and (plastic) back-up ring (11) from the
spring block (10).
(15) With needle nose pliers, remove disc and retainer (14) and pin (20).
(16) Reposition the regulator body (15) in the soft jaw vise so the filter assembly opening is pointing down-
ward and tighten the vise securely against the flat sections of the spring retainer (26).
(17) Hold the spring retainer with a 1-1/4 inch open end wrench and with a two prong spanner wrench,
unscrew and remove the retainer ring (29). Using tool 1588-13, remove the secondary diaphragm
(28). Remove the regulator from the vise and pour out silicone fluid. (Do not reuse silicone fluid.) Re-
position the regulator body (15) in the soft jaw vise so the filter assembly openings point downward,
and tighten the vise securely against the flat sections of the regulator body (15).