5-13. Helmet Shell Maintenance.
This task covers:
Equipment Conditions (continued)
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's (item 4, appx B)
Helmet liner removed (para 4-23).
Muffler/air train removed (para 4-19).
Side block assembly removed (para 4-13).
Nose block device removed (para 4-17).
Soft Bristle Brush (item 1, appx E)
Oral-nasal mask removed (para 4-16).
Clean Lint-Free Cloths (item 2, appx E)
Exhaust valve removed (para 4-21).
Warm Fresh Water (item 4, appx E)
Whisker exhaust removed (para 4-18).
Nonionic Detergent (NID) Solution (item 3, appx E)
Port retainer and face port removed (para 4-20).
Lacquer Thinner (item 5, appx E)
Demand regulator removed (para 4-15).
Silicone Sealant (item 9, appx E)
Communications set removed (para 4-24).
Silicone Lubricant (item 8, appx E)
Communications whip removed (para 5-12).
Neck dam and yoke assembly removed (para 4-12).
Umbilical and adapter hose removed (para 4-25 and 4-26).
(1) Place helmet on clean workbench.
(2) Remove preformed packing seal (1) from base of helmet shell.
(3) Remove nuts (2), washers (3), and communications posts (4) from helmet shell.
(4) Remove screws (5) and cushion snap tabs (6) from helmet shell.
(5) Remove screws (7) and washers (8) securing left side weight (9), right side weight (10), and rear
weight (11) to the helmet shell.
(6) Remove screw (12) securing alignment sleeve (13) to the rear weight.