4-34. Cleaning Method - Nonionic Detergent - continued.
(a) Identification of all parts cleaned.
(b) Results of shake test.
(6) Reassemble as outlined on assembly or component drawing.
(7) Double bag all components in plastic and close securely.
c. Cleaning Hose Assemblies.
(1) Clean hose assemblies IAW the following steps using the specific materials and proper equipment.
Pre-clean hose assemblies outside the clean area by rinsing externally with distilled water.
(2) Most hose assemblies will not lend themselves to disassembly. Disassemble to maximum extent
without removing fittings or clamps.
(3) The cleaning solution shall be made by adding 1/2 oz (14.7 ml) nonionic detergent to each 80
gallons (302.8 l) of distilled water.
(4) Heat the cleaning solution to 120F (49C) and circulate through the hose assembly for 30 minutes
at a flow rate of not less than 1 gallon (3.8 L) per minute.
(5) Rinse the hose assembly with distilled water heated to 125F (52C) for 30 minutes minimum at a
flow rate of not less than 1 gallon (3.8 L) per minute. Do not recirculate the water.
(6) Perform a shake test by collecting a 1000 ml sample of rinse water in a flask that can be fitted with a
rubber stopper. Shake the flask for a few seconds, and if any bubbles form and remain on the
surface of the water in the flask, continue to rinse the hose until no bubbles form and remain in the
(7) Purge hose assembly with clean, dry, oil-free nitrogen (preferably heated to 200F (93C)) until all
visible signs of water are absent. Continue drying process for 1 to 2 hours after initial purge.
At no time shall the upstream purge pressure for all hose
assemblies exceed 100 psig (6895 millibars).
(8) After drying, cover each hose end with a clean plastic bag to maintain internal cleanliness. Secure
the bag with 1 in. (2.5 cm) wide tape.
(9) When components and systems have been reassembled, an air sample shall be taken to verify
4-35. Cleaning Method - Trisodium Phosphate (TSP).
a. This method is the preferred method if all equipment is available. A steam/hot water cleaner that has
adjustable siphon control for cleaning applications works well.