4-12. Neck Dam and Yoke Assembly Maintenance.
This task covers:
Clearing and Inspection
Materials Required (continued)
Tool kit, General Mechanic's (item 4, appx B)
Warm Fresh Water (item 4, appx E)
Nonionic Detergent (NID) Solution
(item 3, appx E)
Loctite 222 Thread Sealant
Soft Bristle Brush (item 1, appx E)
(item 6, appx E)
Clean, Lint-Free Cloths (item 2, appx E)
Unhinge neck clamp/yoke from helmet. Set helmet aside.
(1) Unscrew one of the two hinge bolts (1) and slide the hinge sleeve (2) out by using a pair of pliers to
pull on the other hinge bolt.
(2) Remove three screws (3) and three washers (4) securing hinge (5) to yoke (6).
(3) Remove three screws (7) and separate latch catch (8) from yoke (6).
Note position of plunger (1 ), spring (11), and capscrew (9)
relative to latch catch body (12). Plunger should be
reassembled in the same position.
(4) Cover plunger (10) with clean, lint-free rag and grip with pliers. Remove capscrew (9), plunger (1 0),
and spring (11).
(5) Remove four screws (13), four washers (14), and separate rear hinge tab (15) from the neck clamp.
(6) Remove the neck clamp Locknut (16) and slip the threaded neck clamp adjustment boft (17) out of
the retaining block. Then remove the lockwasher (18) and nut (19) from the threaded neck clamp