4-25. Helmet Lug.
This task covers:
7/64-inch Hex Wrench (Item 20, Appendix B)
RTV Sealant (Item 1, Appendix E)
0-50 in.-lb Torque Wrench (Item 14, Appendix B)
Halocarbon Grease (Item 10, Appendix E)
3/32-in. Pin Punch (Item 28, Appendix B))
Spare Parts Kit
Insert, Hex (Item 56, Appendix B)
Adapter, Socket Wrench (Item 41, Appendix B)
a. Replace. (figure 4-20)
(1) Remove safety pin (1) from helmet lug (2).
(2) Remove roll pin (3) from helmet lug (2) and remove quick-release pin (4).
(3) Remove two screws (5) and helmet lug (2) from helmet base (6).
(4) Apply film of lubricant on helmet lug surface that contact the base.
(5) Apply light film of sealant (RTV) to screws (5).
(6) Install helmet lug (2) on helmet base (6) and secure with two screws (5) finger tight only.
(7) Install lower breech ring assembly (7) to the helmet (8) with the helmet (2) and lower lugs (9) engaged.
(8) Insert quick-release pins (4) and position helmet lug to center the lower lugs (9) and permit free operation of lock
(9) Torque helmet lug mounting screws to 8-10 lb-in. (0.9-1.1 Nm).
Helmet lugs are drilled at each end to be usable on either side of the helmet. The roll pin
must be inserted into the forward hole of each lug.
(10) Orient flat surface of quick-release pins (4) toward helmet base; install roll pin (3).
(11) Install safety pin (1).