Compressor piping may contain high pressure. Never attempt to service or repair any
portion of the compressor until all pressure has been released to the atmosphere.
Disconnect inlet and outlet lines. Do not disturb fittings (12, 10, Fig. D-7) in valve head.
Separate valve head cover (5, Fig. D-7) from valve head (2, Fig. D-7). Place valve head on work bench
with outlet valve (3, Fig. D-7) up. Remove outlet valve (3, Fig. D-7 and O-ring (4, Fig. 5-7) by placing
two screw drivers into the groove of outlet valve body and push down on screw driver handles. Lift
Turn valve head (2, Fig. D-7) over and place in vice. Do not overtighten vice. Damage to valve head
Inspect valve head for damage and carbon deposits. Replace or clean as necessary.
securely. Do not punch as in step 14 under second stage valve replacement.
Align assembled valve head on cylinder to inlet and outlet lines. Screw in 6 socket head screws (9, Fig.
D-7) and torque to 18 ft-16f (25 NM).
Install stud (6, Fig. D-7) and tighten down securely using allen wrench. Place gasket (7, Fig. D-7) on
(10) Connect inlet and outlet lines and tighten securely.
Check Air Cleaner Oil Level. Check oil level in engine air cleaner as follows:
Remove cup and cup gasket (2 and 3, Fig. 4-2)
Verify that oil level in cup (2, Fig. 4-2) is up to "Full" as shown in Figure 4-3 Add SAE 30 oil conforming
to MIL-L-2104 as required.
Inspect oil cup gasket (3, Fig. 4-2) for wear and damage. Replace worn or damaged gasket.
Install oil cup and cup gasket (2 and 3, Fig. 4-2) onto filter housing (7, Fig. 4-2). Secure with two snaps
Change Air Cleaner Oil. Change the oil in the air cleaner cup as follows:
(1) Remove oil cup. (Ref. para 4-5a).
(2) Drain oil from oil cup.
(3) Remove filter elements and retainers (6, 4, and 5, Fig. 4-2).
(4) Wash all parts in clean diesel fuel. Dry all parts thoroughly.
(5) Wipe dirt from inside of housing (7, Fig. 4-2). Make sure no dirt is allowed to enter the engine inlet port.
(6) Assemble filter elements and retainers as shown in Figure 4-2.
(7) Fill oil cup with SAE 30 lubricating oil conforming to MIL-L-2104 as shown in Figure 4-3.
(8) Install oil cup. (Ref. para 4-5a).