Prior to Start Up
(1) Obtain appropriate Logbook and enter Date and Start Time.
(2) Check belts for tightness. (Ref. para. 4-4f.)
(3) Check compressor lubricating oil level. (Ref. para. 2-1f.)
(4) Check engine lubricating oil level. (Ref. para. 2-1g.)
For operation below 32° F (0° C), diesel fuel marked #1 or #1D will provide
easier starting. Do not use #1 or #1D diesel fuel at temperature higher
than 32° F (0° C).
(5) Fill the engine fuel tank. (Ref. para. 2-lh.)
(2) Move speed control lever "UP" to fast position (1, Fig. 3-3).
(3) Rotate automatic compression release (8, Fig. 1-3) clockwise two 'Clicks" to the start position (3, Fig. 3-
Always keep hands, feet and clothing clear of moving parts of other
Hand and thumb must be positioned as shown (4, Fig. 3-3) to prevent
injury if kickback should occur.
(4) For cold weather starts rotate compression release (8, Fig. 1-3) clockwise one "click", crank engine 30
turns and proceed with steps (3) through (7).
(6) Insert crank into starter crank guide, rotate clockwise to engage end of camshaft (4, Fig. 3-3).
If compressor unit is equipped with cold start primer system, activate
(7) Rapidly crank engine until it starts.
(8) If engine fails to start, repeat steps 3 through 7.
(9) After engine starts, remove and store crank.
(10) After engine speed stabilizes, close separator drain valves (16, 23, Fig. 1-3).
Change 3 3-4